[PLUG] fat 16 or 32?

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:52:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>
> > Indeed.  That is what I did, using Startup Disk Creator.  But does that
> > mean that the question of the format on the usb stick is irrelevant? That
> > when it is made bootable the original format is gone?  (I am not being
> > sarcastic here--just ignorant.)
>
> Denis,
>
>   If you used an .iso file and put it on the flash drive (dd or cdrecord)
> then the file system is ISO9660; read-only just like a CD-ROM or DVD.
>
> Rich

This is very confusing to me.  When I insert the stick that the Startup
Disk Creator wrote, Ubuntu tells me that it is a 4.0 GB file system of type
msdos.  So I assumed that the .iso existed as a file (or folder) on the
stick, but the stick's file system was determined by the format.  What
Startup Disk Creator did was put on the stuff to make it bootable (in
addition to copying the .iso file).

Please correct my thinking.

-Denis