[PLUG] Linux Containers - the MOVIE!

plugng3 at martinconsulting.com plugng3 at martinconsulting.com
Fri Mar 23 20:06:18 UTC 2012

Those of you that attended the PLUG Advanced Topics presentation on Linux
Containers earlier this week know that I wasn't able to give the promised
demo.  To satisfy that need I've recorded a video of the demonstration,
which you can find at http://youtu.be/N7GkNs2wQt4.

I spent a huge amount of time figuring out how to record that demo.  I tried
the Istanbul and recordmydesktop apps before falling back to ffmpeg.  For
others that might want to create a similar demo, the incantation that works
for me is:

	ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 1024x768 -r 30 -i :0.0 -f alsa -ac 2 -i hw:0,0
-sameq -async 4 -map 0,0 -map 1 ~/output.mpeg

The "-map" options are particularly important to keep the audio and video in
sync.  If any ffmpeg gurus can tell me how to improve this, particularly
regarding the audio quality, I'd love to hear about it.

Finally, I converted the mpeg file to AVI for purpose of uploading to
YouTube.  The AVI file looks fine on my PC, but is much poorer quality
(though still readable) when presented by YouTube.  If anyone has tips in
that regards, please pass them on.

Thanks, everyone.  It's Friday afternoon.  Better find some suitable
containers to empty this weekend.

              -Brian Martin