[PLUG] Free temporary online repository question

logical american website.reader3 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:16:11 UTC 2012

On 3/23/2012 2:38 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
> I am interested to know what is in the tables that they are 2 gig.
> Triangles being fairly simple shapes, I am not sure what I could come
> up with about them that would fill so much space.
How about 54+ million of them, and they have a special requirement that
they be primitive Heron triangles?  The 5,4,3 triangle works, because
the sides are relatively prime to each other.  The 6,5,5 triangle also
works.  But the 10,8,6 triangle won't work.  Neither do most triangles,
like the 2,3,4 triangle, since the area of that triangle is not
rational.  Heron triangles have rational area.

See http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_07_28_03.html  about tetrahedrons.

Randall