[PLUG] Asus 1015pem running Xfce

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 19:06:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Denis Heidtmann <
> denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I installed Ubuntu 11.10.  It comes with Unity.  After some exposure to
>> Unity (see wireless comments below) I decided that Unity with its huge
>> icons and slow behavior does not suit a minimalist machine.  I should try
>> Xfce.  So I downloaded the meta-package xfce4.  I really like it--fast and
>> does not fill up my small screen with stuff, but some of the function keys
>> do not do what is intended, the battery state is not available, the power
>> controls are absent, it does not suspend on closing the lid, and I suspect
>> there are other things I would find troubling if I continued.
>>
>> My first question is would starting over with a clean install of Xubuntu
>> 11.10 behave any better?  Is it possible that there is an interaction
>> between the gnome/unity stuff on the thing causing a problem?  I have done
>> some googling on xfce-ubuntu but have not found this problem exactly.  I
>> see in the package manager that xfce4 is listed as "Canonical does not
>> supply updates for xfce4" yet xubuntu comes from Canonical and xubuntu uses
>> xfce!  This is confusing.
>>
>> With Unity, after some considerable effort following the wireless trouble
>> shooter I got the wireless to work.  I am not sure what fixed it since the
>> trouble shooting send me on a long path through various checks (lshw,
>> lsmod, iwconfig).  But it worked after rebooting.  The issue was that it
>> seemed to be using a driver (Ralink) for a 2800 card; it has a 3090 card.
>>  My hesitation with starting over with Xubuntu is having to go through all
>> the wireless hassles again.
>>
>> Advice welcomed.
>>
>> -Denis
>>

> From
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/82086/why-cant-i-run-xfce4-power-manager
>
> "Its a known bug. You can fix it by getting the package from 12.04 or by
> downloading the source and compiling it."
>

> How do I use 12.04 packages?

Never mind.  I found the appropriate package which now seems to work.  I
can see the battery charge level and it seems to suspend when I close the
lid.

Another annoyance is that I cannot stop from dragging my fingers across the
touchpad and loosing my work in various mysterious ways.  I found out how
to shut it off while typing, which helps a lot.  I would like the function
key to shut it off, but that is not working, and it seems that it will
continue not to work.  Who knows what 12.04 may bring.

-Denis