[PLUG] Grub 2 configuration/Ubuntu (was Re: What fixed my Ubuntu 10.x boot problem for now.)

Steve Beattie steve at nxnw.org
Tue Mar 27 21:02:36 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 08:32:16PM -0700, Kirk Goins wrote:
> Still having a problem finding the actual parm(s) to set so grub will pause
> a few seconds on boot before starting the default. Maybe I will bring it to
> the clinic next weekend.

I don't know if you got this sorted out at the clinic or not, but
the file to adjust for this is /etc/default/grub, specifically the
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET and GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT settings. If you wish
to see the menu, comment those lines out and adjust the GRUB_TIMEOUT
setting to be how many seconds you wish it to show the menu before
booting into the default. For example, I routinely set my config like so

  #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
  #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
  GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

to get the menu displayed for 10 seconds before booting into the default
kernel.

Once you're done editing /etc/default/grub, you'll need to run
update-grub as root (e.g. via sudo) for configuration files in
/boot/grub to be regenerated.

The way the boot setup is supposed to work with grub2, you should
also be able to hold the Shift key down when booting to get the grub
menu to display when grub is configured to not show it by default.

You can find more information on the settings available in
/etc/default/grub at

  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#A.2BAC8-etc.2BAC8-default.2BAC8-grub_.28file.29

or by running

  info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'