[PLUG] Ubuntu 12.04 requires pae on the CPU?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue May 15 00:49:52 UTC 2012

So, after burning the right iso, I tried to boot it on my laptop. I get
the error message:

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae

Unable to boot -- please us a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

Sigh. My desktop machine has the feature, but my laptop does not. On my
desktop machine, I ran:

rsteff at moonguide:~$ grep pae /proc/cpuinfo
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
rsteff at moonguide:~$

I tried running the same thing on the laptop and got nothing back.

The desktop CPU is an Intel Pentium 4. The laptop is an Intel Pentium M.

My first bit of Googling showed that there is a way to get 12.04 that
doesn't need pae, but that defeats the purpose of having both machines
running close to the same software.

Any thoughts -- other that it's time to replace the laptop? :-(

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens