[PLUG] Sony Vaio Wireless Issue: Update

wes plug at the-wes.com
Tue May 22 16:09:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

>   NetworkManager and nm-applet are working just fine for the eth0
> interface,
> but not yet for the wlan0 interface. When there's no ethernet cable
> attached
> the wifi radio should come on and neighborhood access points become
> visible.
> That's not the case.
>
>   Symptoms:
>     - nm-applet will not allow me to enable wireless networking (so it
>       can't be configured either).
>
>     - The radio switch is in the 'on' position but the light remains dark.
>
>     - Running 'rfkill list' shows that none of the three wireless lans
>       (acer-wireless, sony-wifi, phy0) is hard blocked, but the
>       acer-wireless LAN is soft blocked.

note that running the scan command from the command line did show wireless
networks available. this indicates the issue is specific to
network-manager... we just have to figure out how to tell it that "yes,
there really is a wireless network there for you to manage."

more specifically, we have to figure out the Slackware way of giving
Network Manager this novel bit of information.

-wes