[PLUG] Sony Vaio Wireless Issue: Update

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue May 22 16:18:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, 22 May 2012, wes wrote:

> note that running the scan command from the command line did show wireless
> networks available. this indicates the issue is specific to
> network-manager... we just have to figure out how to tell it that "yes,
> there really is a wireless network there for you to manage."

Wes,

   OK. I think of the rfkill list results as wireless connections and you
refer to them as networks. Now I'm with you. I was hoping there'd be a hard
lock that could then be removed to fix the problem.

> more specifically, we have to figure out the Slackware way of giving
> Network Manager this novel bit of information.

   Regardless of distribution, what is the novel bit of information that
needs to be given to NM? I did not see anything in the message log that
looked like a blockage or failure, but I'm not a professional, full-time,
experienced linux admin.

   Are there other logs to be examined (dmesg had nothing interesting)? What
about other diagnostics similar to 'rfkill list?'

Thanks,