[PLUG] Duplex card scanner

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 19:26:45 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 07:10 AM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I would like a duplex card scanner for linux - pop in the card,
> get front and back images.  The sane project only lists a couple
> of old simplex scanners.   Any suggestions?
>
> Failing that, I can build a kludge with a couple of cheap
> digital cameras with macro lenses in a fixture with a push
> button.  Any suggestions for cheap cameras that will take
> a picture and upload it on external command?  Perhaps all
> I need is a single webcam with the right lensing, a pair
> of 45 degree mirrors to see both sides at once, followed
> by some image correction in software, which I might be
> able to do with PovRay.
>
> Keith

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#SCANNERS lists many newer
scanner with ADFduplex attachments

I have had good luck with HP scanners under Linux in the past.  I
currently use HP Laserjet Pro M1212nf MFP via TCP/IP on sane/hplip (no
duplexing attachment though).   Scanning is supported with a free
proprietary plugin in SANE. I scan 2 sided stuff by just setting up for
multipage and flipping it over. For < full page I just set the scan
dimensions(some backends can detect size automagically).

The link above shows quite a few scanner with ADFduplex support (status:
complete). Fancy duplexing ones tend to be pricey:

HP Scanjet 5590 Digital Flatbed Scanner  (see link above)

I would get a full size scanner and if needed just crop/OCR the images
producedand not one of the limited special purpose business card ones.
Also, this claims linux support:

http://www.irislink.com/c2-2203-189/IRISCard-Anywhere-5--Scan-your-business-cards--Organize-and-manage-your-contacts.aspx

(at least for the scanner portion).  If you find a good USB scanner and
can detemine the chipset used, you may be able to locate a sane backend
and then adjust "/lib/udev/rules.d/80-libsane.rules" to add your scanner.

-Ed