[PLUG] Noisy mp3s

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Fri Nov 16 00:23:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:03:31 -0800
"Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have some mp3 recordings to transcribe. For some reason these
> recordings have some noise in them. What it sounds like is the noise
> left over when I use a filter in Audacity to remove some noise. (I
> know, that's a bit weird, but maybe some of you who use the Audacity
> filter will recognize the effect.) Anyway, the other weird part of
> this is that if I listen to them on my wife's Win7 machine, they are
> clear as a bell. They are also clear as a bell if I listen to them on
> my laptop running XP. The same laptop hardware running Ubuntu 10.4
> has the noise.
>
> Not all mp3 files on my Ubuntu machine exhibit this problem. So far,
> it's just the two. They both were recorded phone conversations, but I
> don't know the recording technology used. It could have been a hand
> held recorder sitting next to a speaker phone -- that's the usual
> technique -- or it could have been a fancy phone system that has the
> ability to record a call. The call is between two offices of a big,
> east coast consulting company that could very well have that
> technology.
>
> Anyway, does anyone have any ideas about why the sound on my Linux
> machines show this noise while the sound on two Winders machines does
> not? And more important, is there anything I can do about it, other
> than listening on XP while typing on Ubuntu?

Hard to say what this might be.  The only thing I can think of off
the top of my head is that you've got clipping somewhere.  Try
clipping.  If it's there, use Audacity reduce the audio amplitude;
that should clear up the problem.

Hope this help,

--Dale

--
The attitude of "Oh, you want it should work?  That costs extra!"
is the biggest security hole in computer software today.