[PLUG] Victor upgraded to Ubuntu 12.something

wes plug at the-wes.com
Sat Nov 17 18:07:04 UTC 2012

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 7:12 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:44:02 -0800
> Victor Soich <vsoich at gmail.com> dijo:
> >I don't like my Ubuntu 12.something.  I can't figure out what programs
> >are on my machine.  There is no menu.  I want to go back to 10.04.  Or
> >I want to put on Mint or Debian on my desktop computer.

> >Unless there some quick trick to go back to
> >10.04, I'll leave well enough alone.  Is there a mechanism to roll
> >back the operating system, so to speak?
>
> I hear you about Ubuntu 12.something. I suspect your complaint is more
> about Gnome 3 than Ubuntu, at least, that's my complaint. Some love
> the new look, and others hate it.  As for rolling back the OS, that is
> not generally possible. But, as I just said, I think your problem is
> more with the desktop than the version of the OS.

Gnome3 or Unity. It should be possible to use the Ubuntu Software Center to
install Gnome Classic, which would return the familiar look and feel
without downgrading the OS, or even reinstalling. The challenge is centered
around how much customization has been done to the current setup. Switching
desktop managers is kind of a big deal, so we won't know how successful
this will be until we try it. Since the plan is to wipe/reinstall anyway,
it's worth a try.

-wes