[PLUG] Victor upgraded to Ubuntu 12.something

Tim Bruce - PLUG timb at tbruce.com
Sat Nov 17 18:34:59 UTC 2012

On Fri, November 16, 2012 21:44, Victor Soich wrote:
> Dear Plug clinic,
>
> I don't like my Ubuntu 12.something.  I can't figure out what programs
> are on my machine.  There is no menu.  I want to go back to 10.04.  Or
> I want to put on Mint or Debian on my desktop computer.  I really
> don't relish hauling my desktop computer down to the clinic, with my
> monitor, printer, et. al.  Can I get help backing up my files, blowing
> away Ubuntu 12.something, and putting Debian on my machine, and make
> sure I can surf the internet, and be able to print, all in the span of
> 4 hours.  I've had issues with all these things in the past, and each
> time it took an inordinate amount of time.
>
> On second thought, I may be getting a laptop, and putting Linux from
> Scratch, or Debian on it, or whatever more sophisticated people than I
> suggest.  Once I get that working to my satisfaction, I'll blow away
> my Ubuntu 12.something.  Unless there some quick trick to go back to
> 10.04, I'll leave well enough alone.  Is there a mechanism to roll
> back the operating system, so to speak?
>
> Sincerely,
> Victor Soich

Victor,

One thing I've found is the reliance on the menu.  And I should know
because I'm one of them.  Trying to remember the app names can be
frustrating but I can remember which submenu it's on.

In that regard, I've installed AWN (Avant Window Navigator) which give me
a Macintosh like look (along with Unity).

Maybe you want to take a look at some of the screen shots of that and see
if that fits your bill rather than a full re-install or trying to "fix"
it.

Tim
--
Timothy J. Bruce