[PLUG] Is it wise to add other DEs once Ubuntu 12.04 is installed?

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Sat Nov 24 22:06:48 UTC 2012

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 13:39:27 -0800
C W <elcaseti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it wise to add other DEs once Ubuntu 12.04 is installed?
>
> Hey Everybody,
>
> I have a friend who installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on his work desktop PC.
> He's spent the last month or more getting his PC set up the way he
> likes it.  The problem is, he's having problems with Firefox that I'm
> not having on KDE Mint 13 LTS.  Also, he's not liking Unity, in
> general.  He'd like to add Kubuntu desktop, or another DE.  He's
> concerned that this might make things more likely to break in the
> long run.  He might be right about that.  He & I both like to err on
> the side of caution & stability, using only LTS releases, & sticking
> with an install for years, putting a lot of time & effort into
> setting up the computer just the way each one of us likes it.  In
> other words, not the popular GNU/Linux geek bleeding edge approach.
> What do you all think?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Elcaset

In my experience, adding a DE/WM is not a problem.  Removing one,
on the other hand, can open a large can of worms.  Hideous, ugly,
mutant worms with nasty, sharp teeth and a bad smell.  But if you
never run the DE that you don't like, there shouldn't be any
trouble.  I've run multiple DEs before with not problems.

As for Firefox, you'll have to describe the troubles before we can
help troubleshoot them.

Just my $0.02.

--Dale

--
"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube
will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.  In the