[PLUG] Slightly OT: version/instance control on Mac software

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Mon Nov 26 07:02:07 UTC 2012

This isn't Linux, only vaguely Unix, but it is a question
I expect some open source folks will know the answer to.
Probably not most Mac folk, who tend to solve problems
with credit cards rather than knowledge.

The second-hand CardScan is working with Linux.  The craigslist
seller advertised it as Mac compatable. He gave me a copy of the
Mac software installer cardscan.pkg, which allegedly runs with
this scanner.  However, it complains that it won't work with the
OSX 2.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on our Mac.  So the instance of code
may be tied to the specific version of OSX, perhaps to the
particular machine this scanner was first attached to.  It has
been years since I've dealt with $$$ proprietary applications,
but I remember these kinds of shenanigans.

Anyone here know enough about Mac software architecture and
vendor behavior to hazard a guess?  Am I S.O.L?  This is what I
get for working with second rate, amateurish software like MacOS.

Not really, of course - SANE is ported to the Mac, and I probably
can get that running.  We are already running mostly open source
apps on the Mac, and SANE might be easier to integrate with our
business process than some closed-source walled-garden "solution".

Keith