[PLUG] LVM-induced hosage

plugng3 at martinconsulting.com plugng3 at martinconsulting.com
Mon Oct 1 17:10:20 UTC 2012

Russell:

> Just to follow up, some combination of updating lvm2 to something more
> recent:
>
> root at iris russell # pvmove --version
>  LVM version:     2.02.97(2) (2012-08-07)
>  Library version: 1.02.76 (2012-08-07)
>  Driver version:  4.14.0
>
> and running pvmove on individual logical volumes allowed me to move
> them off of the degraded physical volume with no further
> freezes/deadlocks.  Yay!

Hey, Russell.  Sorry to hear you had problems.  I was off the net or I would
have gotten back to you sooner.

As I think I mentioned in my talk, I never put  / or /var on anything fancy
(RAID1 at most, no LVM, etc.) so I never run into this.  I want my minimal
boot environment as simple as possible because everything is so much easier
to fix if the box can at least boot.  I inherit systems with /var in LVM
under a variety of distros though and I've never had any problem.

PVmove is probably the most challenging operation, but it uses a very
reliable and interruptible approach.  It mirrors the logical volume to the
new destination, then shifts the pointers over to the new destination and
drops the old one.  If it gets interrupted anywhere along the way, the
pointers are always left pointing at a valid copy.  A "pvmove" command with
no options will resume a previously interrupted pvmove.  I'd be interested
in knowing if you tried that to get it unstuck.

In any case, glad you got it resolved.

            -Brian