[PLUG] question on ergonometric mice

James Bertelson james at bertelson.me
Mon Oct 8 14:57:54 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

>    I use a trackball, and did since 1996 when a mouse gave me tendinitis of
> the right elbow. Accupunture cured that and it's not recurred.
>
>    My current trackball is a Logitech optical wireless that allows the
> middle
> fingers to work the ball and the thumb to work the left button; it also has
> a scroll wheel. I _really_ like it. The previous two trackballs were
> configured to use the thumb on the ball that that is a terrible design; the
> thumb does not have the fine motor control of the fingers.

About 3 years ago I started developing discomfort in my mouse wrist as
well. Rather than actually getting it checked out, I too switched to a
trackball, and it went away very quickly. I will offer a differing opinion
on the thumb-control though, I tried both and find my accuracy greater on
the thumb controlled devices. Give both a shot and see what works.
Additionally, the modern wireless Logitechs with the mini USB receiver have
been plug and play on every linux machine I've used them on. Best of luck.