[PLUG] Virtual server saves the day (?)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Tue Oct 9 21:16:54 UTC 2012

A few days ago, my websites were mentioned on Next Big Future,
and they are getting hammered with requests (a good thing).
Unfortunately, being a cheapskate, I've been running them
lean and low memory, so they are effectively offline.

Fortunately, I used the web administration interface to buy
more memory (400MB -> 1000MB), bumped up the process limits
in httpd.conf, and restarted.  Crossing fingers.

The next thing to monitor is monthly bandwidth allotment.
In the last 3 days, I've used 20% of my monthly.  I may
bump that up using the web admin interface, too.

I can reduce the cost a bit by migrating to another host
(same company), but that would mean changing IP addresses.
I may do it if this keeps up.

Keith