[PLUG] would this laptop work?

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 18 02:06:27 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Randy Stapilus <stapilus at ridenbaugh.com>wrote:

> I'm looking at getting a new (nearly new in this case) laptop on which I
> would dual boot Windows (probably not often) and Linux, probably either
> Ubuntu or Mint.

I would suggest against Mint.... Not because of the politics their found
brings in that I personally dislike but instead because by default they
disable Kernel Security Updates and also do not announce CVE's to their
users.

> A friend has a machine up for sale which looks like a good deal and I think
> might work for me. It's an HP Pavillion dv7 (descriptive
> page<
> http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/B2P31UA?HP-Pavilion-dv7-7012nr-Entertainment-Notebook-PC
> >).
>

> The specs suggest to me this seems like a reasonable machine for what I
> want. Question - anyone know of a problem area here, a reason dual-booting
> wouldn't work smoothly enough with this particular laptop?
>
> Randy Stapilus
> www.ridenbaugh.com
> Northwest politics and public affairs
> WA, OR, ID Weekly Briefings
> 503-852-0010

*Benjamin Kerensa*
*http://benjaminkerensa.com*
*"I am what I am because of who we all are" - Ubuntu*