[PLUG] Open Office Calc

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Fri Oct 19 05:54:42 UTC 2012

On Oct 18, 2012, at 8:14 PM, Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the function you want is lookup, but I believe that sorting on
> col 1 is required.  Also, what do want to do if B3 and B4 are not
> equal but both are in column 1?

Well, they are strings, and they will never be equal. I've already attempted to figure this out several times. The calculations I've written count the occurrences of each string, so I know for a fact from examining the results that both strings do not appear in column one, but there are a few cases where neither string appears in column one.

> Syntax
> LOOKUP(SearchCriterion; SearchVector; ResultVector)
> SearchCriterion is the value to be searched for; entered either
> directly or as a reference.
> SearchVector is the single-row or single-column area to be searched.
> ResultVector is another single-row or single-column range from which
> the result of the function is taken. The result is the cell of the
> result vector with the same index as the instance found in the search
> vector.

Hmm, how do I make the SearchCriterion either C1 or D1?

Second, how do I copy the resulting calculation to 1200 cells in this column while only incrementing the search criteria, leaving the search and result vectors over the same range?

Thank you so much for the help Denis.

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net