[PLUG] Flashplayer Issue

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 19:39:28 UTC 2012

> No sooner had I sent my email when I encountered some content on youtube
> that could not play with HTML5, but required flash. I installed flash
> 11.2.202.243. So far, it seems to work and not crash Firefox or
> anything. I think I'll change the name of my libflashplayer.so to
> something like libflashplayer.sucks to hide it and use HTML5 as much as
> possible in case any of the content sites are keeping track of how much
> the HTML5 method is used VS Adobe Flash. If I want to see something that
> HTML5 cannot play, I'll just temporarily move libflashplayer.so back.

Youtube has been transcoding alot, but not all, to HTML5 for either theora
or vp8, either in ogv or webm containers.  FF 15.x and 16.x runs these well
ootb.  For flash, yes, its going EOL, but google cut a deal to incorporate
it in Chrome (but not chromium).  In a pinch there are also FF extensions
and standalone programs that let you grab the flv and transcode or just
play (mplayer, vlc and play just fine without a plugin).

The one glitch I have with FF and Slackware is with the nividia driver:
every once in a while I have to turn off hardware acceleration (via vdpau,
on the newer 304.x driver seems a bit better) as the color pallet gets
scewy.  The laptop with intelhd is ok.

>     Too bad that Pat and crew don't re-install the multilib libraries with
> upgrades and new distribution releases.

As for Slackware64 multilib, unless you need Virtualbox, Skype or WINE, you
can pretty much skip it or just run Slackware32.  Multilib is an
unsupported add-on maintained by one of the unpaid volunteers.  He has
posted the new Slackware64 14.0 multilib packages - I am running then now
since I run bor VB and WINE.

-Ed
--
You! What PLANET is this!
    -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0