[PLUG] First attempt to use preseeding when installing Debian

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Mon Oct 22 12:02:40 UTC 2012

Why		- learn to use preseeding.
Why now	- I think I've found an install related bug. Using
preseed.cfg would eliminate human error as cause.

For simplicity and repeatability I'm installing from DVD -
*no network connection of any sort* .
The DVD is disk 1 of 8 of a commercial copy of Debian 6.0.5
which has been used to do several successful instals.

The preseed.cfg file is on a USB stick formatted as FAT16
which Debian happily reads and writes.
The preseed.cfg contents are taken directly from a standard
example changing only the answers not the format. [i.e.
change yes to no, specify correct time zone , etc.]

I've read the appropriate sections of the "d-i Manual", an
assortment of web pages, and searched for related posts on
the Debian user list.
I've asked also asked questions on
debian-user at lists.debian.org. The answers, though
informative and useful in many ways, were not "effective"
[for want of better word].

I've found bits and pieces with too much detail on how to
tweak the example preseed.cfg and very little on how to
launch everything.

What obvious thing am I missing. Is there a "Preseeding for
Newbies" page somewhere?

I KNOW I'm going to feel silly when I find out what I'm
doing wrong.

TIA