[PLUG] Linux Clinic Sunday October 21

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 24 06:01:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com>wrote:

> Come one, come all, to the Ubuntu/Amazon branded Linux Clinic.
> Celebrating the addition of Amazon ads to the Unity dashboard
> [ NO STOP NOT THE CATTLE PROD AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ]
>
> Okay, I don't like Unity, and I hate ads on my computer.  If
> you want to use Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10, come to the Linux
> Clinic at 1pm, at Free Geek 1731 SE 10th Avenue, Portland
> and we can help you restore your desktop to Gnome goodness,
> or at least remove Amazon from your dashboard if you like
> Unity ( for heaven's sakes, /why???/).
>
> We start at 1PM and run until 5PM, but /please/ don't show up
> at 430PM and expect help - we'll be busy with the people that
> showed up at 400PM.
>
> Or bring any other Linux problem, and we will help you replace
> it with an entirely different Linux problem.  We've got wired
> and wireless ethernet, displays, meece and keyboards, a few
> repair parts, and friendly volunteers who sometimes manage to
> suppress their smug superiority long enough to help.  We will
> probably have coffee, oddball snacks, bad puns, comaraderie,
> and shelter from the rain.  So bring your machine and your
> questions, and leave with the sure knowledge that you now can
> fix your machine and software (probably better than we can).
>
> The clinic happens every third Sunday, unless we forget the
> key or Portland is crushed under a moving wall of ice (a
> common occurence around January).  See you Sunday!
>
> Keith
>
> --
> Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com         Voice (503)-520-1993

A whole clinic is required to show people how to install Gnome on Ubuntu?
As for the Amazon Results a simple click in Privacy Settings turns them off
or you can remove the package entirely with sudo apt-get remove
unity-lens-shopping

For those who attended the Release Party I think they have a better idea of
where the Unity Desktop Environment is going and how more results will
evolve in 13.04 whether it be product results or being able to search
Google Maps in the Dash or better yet integration with just about any site
or service you use.

--
*Benjamin Kerensa*
*http://benjaminkerensa.com*