[PLUG] Finding partial duplicate rows with uniq

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Oct 31 05:03:22 UTC 2012

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>    I have a large data file that contains duplicate rows. 'uniq'
Rich> finds those rows that match character-by-character, but not
Rich> those who match only on the first three fields (separated by
Rich> '|').

No, uniq *disregards* rows that match character-by-character.  From
your explanation, I can't tell wtf you are trying to do.  If the whole
row is relevant, fine, use uniq and get all the relevant differences.

Another tried-and-true way of explaining what you are trying to do is to
give an example.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net