[PLUG] Issues With New External Hard Drive: Need SysAdmin Help

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 22 15:49:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012, Ken Stephens wrote:

> Check your cables, pull and reinsert them a couple of times.  The 5 volt
> signal levels can degrade after years because of corrosion and relaxing
> contact pressure.  The cable may be broken.  Somewhere it goes over a
> sharp edge and gets pulled.  I have tripped over cables and caused
> failures.  As a sysadmin I seen weirder stuff.

   I need to admit that I'm quite discouraged. The new external case arrived
yesterday and I mounted the new hard drive (that worked for a few days in
the old case) and got everything set up. Still see the same errors:

[root at salmo ~]# ./dirvish-backup.sh &
[1] 27195
[root at salmo ~]# mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/sdb,
        dmesg | tail  or so

cannot open config file: default.conf
cannot open config file: default.conf
cannot open config file: default.conf
cannot open config file: default.conf
cannot open config file: default.conf
cannot open config file: default.conf
umount: /media/hd0: not mounted

   When I try to mount it manually,

[root at salmo ~]# mount /media/hd0
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb,
        dmesg | tail  or so

[root at salmo ~]# dmesg | tail
EXT3-fs (sdb): error loading journal
sd 319:0:0:0: [sdb] Unhandled sense code
sd 319:0:0:0: [sdb] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sd 319:0:0:0: [sdb] Sense Key : 0x3 [current]
sd 319:0:0:0: [sdb] ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x0
sd 319:0:0:0: [sdb] CDB: cdb[0]=0x28: 28 00 1d 1b 72 b8 00 00 f0 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 488338104
JBD: Failed to read block at offset 27704
JBD: recovery failed
EXT3-fs (sdb): error loading journal

   This is a new case, new cables, new drive. What am I missing here? It's
been about 3 weeks with no daily backups and I really need to get this
working once again.