[PLUG] Distribution Upgrade: Frame Buffer Glitch [RESOLVED ... SORTA']

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Apr 3 21:15:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Dale Snell wrote:

> This appears to be a kernel bug.  The line about "fb: conflicting fb
> hw usage..." is a red herring.

Dale, et al.:

   I stumbled upon a kludge that works -- for now. When booting from the
Slackware distribution DVD one can specify options on the boot: command
line. I used the example on that display page and added the final option of
'fb=off' (without the quotes, of course). The system paused during the boot
process because I had specified to load the boot partition read only and it
was already mounted read-write. Pressing the [Enter] key allow the system to
complete the boot process.

   So, on this Dell Latitude with this Slackware distribution (-14.0/x86_64)
there is a definite problem with specifying a frame buffer (in my case the
VESA line is 'vga=773'). I reported this to Pat and the development team and
offered to perform other tests to identify just why there's a problem so
they can fix it.