[PLUG] Distribution Upgrade: Frame Buffer Glitch [RESOLVED ... SORTA']

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Thu Apr 4 00:10:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 14:15:44 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Dale Snell wrote:
>
> > This appears to be a kernel bug.  The line about "fb: conflicting fb
> > hw usage..." is a red herring.
>
> Dale, et al.:
>
>    I stumbled upon a kludge that works -- for now. When booting from
> the Slackware distribution DVD one can specify options on the boot:
> command line. I used the example on that display page and added the
> final option of 'fb=off' (without the quotes, of course). The system
> paused during the boot process because I had specified to load the
> boot partition read only and it was already mounted read-write.
> Pressing the [Enter] key allow the system to complete the boot
> process.

Huzzah!  Glad to hear it!  From what I've been reading, this bug is
one of those really NASTY race problems that shows up whenever it
bloody well pleases.  Or when the moons all line up and beam bozo rays
into (some of) the systems.  Horrible problems to find.

>    So, on this Dell Latitude with this Slackware distribution
> (-14.0/x86_64) there is a definite problem with specifying a frame
> buffer (in my case the VESA line is 'vga=773'). I reported this to
> Pat and the development team and offered to perform other tests to
> identify just why there's a problem so they can fix it.

Best of luck.  There are a lot of folks looking into this, but every
little bit helps.

Once again, congratulations in getting your machine to run.

--Dale

--
Q:  What's more dangerous than a programmer with a screwdriver?
A:  A vengeful technician with a hot soldering gun.