[PLUG] ~/.Xmodmap Cannot Find Commands

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Mon Apr 8 17:10:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 08:34:21 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>    I recently upgraded my Dell Latitude from Slackware-13.37/x86_64 to
> -14.0/x86_64 and now .Xmodmap tells me that the commands cannot be
> found. This same file is used to switch the caplock and ctrl keys. It
> works on other hosts and worked on the Dell before now.  It does not
> run when ~/.xinitrc is invoked and when I try to manually run it
> every command (remove, keysym, add) is not found. I've no idea where
> to start looking for the reason it broke.
>
>    Here's the file:
>
> clear mod4
> !
> ! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
> !
> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> remove Control = Control_L
> keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
> keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
> add Lock = Caps_Lock
> add Control = Control_L
> keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L
>
> Pointers needed,

The only thing that comes to me is that you no longer have the
xmodmap(1) command installed.  On Fedora, at least, xmodmap and
friends are part of a package called "xorg-x11-server-utils".  If
Slackware has an analogous package, it may not have been installed
when you upgraded Slackware versions.

Your file looks almost identical to the one I have here; it should
work as long as xmodmap is installed.  The reason that the
individual commands in the file don't work is that they are not
system commands, per se.  Rather, they are instructions to the
xmodmap program itself.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"Rules of combat older than contact with other races.  Did not
mention aliens.  Rules' change... caught up in committee.  Not come