[PLUG] ~/.Xmodmap Cannot Find Commands

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Apr 8 22:57:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013, Rogan Creswick wrote:

> I wonder if your .xinitrc is actually in use.

   Shrug. I dunno.

> Are you using startx to start the X server?

   Yep. It's an alias for startxfce4.

> I ask because the last line appears to be starting Window Maker, while you
> later refer to XFCE; if you're intentionally running Window Maker as the WM
> for XFCE, then that's all fine and as it should be (although I'm not
> certain where XFCE is being started from).

   That last line has been in .xinitrc since 2002. I've no idea why, but I've
used only xfce since 1997 and that wm line has never been invoked.

> I suspect that instead, another script is being run that is starting an
> XFCE session, and your .xinitrc is no longer in the loop.

   Same script, different host, works fine. It also worked fine for all
upgrades until this last one to 14.0.

> One way to check is to create a new .xinitrc that contains only:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/bin/xterm
>
> then restart and start X again.  If you get nothing but an xterm, then
> indeed, you're using the xinitrc.

   I may play with this while I'm away on a business trip. But, I'm sure
xinitrc is being read since it's always worked before.

Thanks, Rogan,