[PLUG] Thinkpad DVD drive failure, maybe

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Apr 12 06:35:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:25:03 -0700
Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:

>A 256GB  SSD drive can make an old laptop leap to life. Most slowness
>in laptops is not because of a bottleneck for CPU time, but  a
>bottleneck accessing the disk.  The SSD will not fix your DVD problem,
>but it will make Scribus run faster.

If this computer could only hold more than one drive I would leap at an
SSD drive. But I currently have a 320 GB drive, and it is not big
enough. I am always trying to figure out how to reconfigure things to
make space. For the price of a 320 GB SSD drive I could buy a lot of
new computer power.

There exists a hybrid 500 GB drive with a small SSD part. I considered
it, but 1) it is very expensive and 2) my Thinkpad's SATA 2 controller
is locked to 100 MB/s performance by the BIOS (bad, bad decision by
Lenovo), so a faster drive would be unlikely to help.

But the decision remains on hold until after the Clinic. Crossing my
fingers that this computer can be saved. :)