[PLUG] new notebook for Linux

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 13 00:19:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Randy Stapilus <stapilus at ridenbaugh.com> wrote:
> My wife, who has been using a MacBook (now almost 7 years old), has decided
> she'd like her next notebook to use Linux Ubuntu. I've been using it for
> years and been happy with it, and have installed Ubuntu on both a laptop
> and a desktop. Dual booting with Windows might be useful but not at all
> necessary - neither us have any plans to use Windows on the machine. The
> question now, in these days of Windows 8 and UEFI, is, what would be a good
> notebook to use, and whether dual booting is even much practical, or
> whether getting a machine with no OS or one with Ubuntu pre-installed would
> be a good idea. Preferably in somewhere near PDX, though we're open to
> shipping. Budget runs up to $600 or so.
>
> Today we picked up a Lenovo ideapad Z585, which I was told ought to work
> for dual booting. But that's been a generic statement, and information
> about making it happen has been spotty. Until I'm confident of an Ubuntu
> install the box will not be opened.

Ubuntu supports UEFI.... The developer who added that support lives
right here in Portland.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

>Indications via web searching so far
> are mixed. (I don't care to pay the $70+ restocking fee imposed once the
> box is opened.) If I can't so satisfy myself, it goes back to the store.
> I've been googling the subject, and comments on dual booting w/Windows 8
> (and UEFI), from the Ubuntu site and elsewhere, seem to be all over the
> map. Any thoughts, or this machine or others?

I'm a fan of Dell Hardware and like their new XPS 13 (Ubuntu
pre-installed) although thats out of the range you suggested... That
being said I have also tried out System76 and love their Pangolin
notebook.

--
Benjamin Kerensa
http://benjaminkerensa.com