[PLUG] Unexpected machine reboot

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Apr 15 18:26:48 UTC 2013

Like last Thursday my machine rebooted itself while I was working. No
warning. Just a reboot. Unlike last Thursday, when the login screen
appeared it was normal -- not the blank right hand screen and shifted
left hand screen. This leads me to believe that last Thursday there may
have been more than one problem, the video one having been fixed over
the weekend with the re-installation of the nVidia driver, and the new
EVGA card.

I looked in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but it just shows how it booted up
after the unexpected reboot.

Is it likely any log would show what caused the reboot, and if so, which
one?

If it matters, this is Ubuntu 12.04. The programs open at the time were
Thunderbird, Firefox, Nautilus, Skype for Linux, VirtualBox with USB
support running Win 2k running Express Scribe, another instance of
Nautilus, LibreOffice Calc, and LibreOffice Writer.

Thanks for any clues.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens