[PLUG] Unexpected machine reboot

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 16:08:22 UTC 2013

Take a look at
/var/log/messages
/var/log/syslog

the reboot could be (1) thermal (overheating) (2) hardware issue: cpu,
mobo, add on card...

At this pt, I'd check over heating since you had a lot of stuff
running. You can check cpu and mobo temps etc with any number of
utilities. You can use BOINC (seti at home etc) as a stress test.

Is the CPU heatsink loose? When was the last time you reseated it with
fresh thermal paste?

Good luck.
Ed

On 4/15/13, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> Like last Thursday my machine rebooted itself while I was working. No
> warning. Just a reboot. Unlike last Thursday, when the login screen
> appeared it was normal -- not the blank right hand screen and shifted
> left hand screen. This leads me to believe that last Thursday there may
> have been more than one problem, the video one having been fixed over
> the weekend with the re-installation of the nVidia driver, and the new
> EVGA card.
>
> I looked in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but it just shows how it booted up
> after the unexpected reboot.
>
> Is it likely any log would show what caused the reboot, and if so, which
> one?
>
> If it matters, this is Ubuntu 12.04. The programs open at the time were
> Thunderbird, Firefox, Nautilus, Skype for Linux, VirtualBox with USB
> support running Win 2k running Express Scribe, another instance of
> Nautilus, LibreOffice Calc, and LibreOffice Writer.
>
> Thanks for any clues.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

Sent from my mobile device

You! What PLANET is this!
	-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0