[PLUG] Memory configuration question

John Meissen john at meissen.org
Fri Apr 19 19:11:32 UTC 2013

> On Apr 19, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Rick <rdoyle16+plug at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Having mis-matched speeds shouldn't be a problem - AFAIK, it will just mean
> > that all 6 DIMMs will run at 1066. The 1333 memory should run fine at 1066
> > - it's just a matter of being CAPABLE of 1333 speeds.
>
> And doing so will put you one step closer to 6 x 4GB dimms, or 24 GB of RAM.
>
> And... If you can afford $180 for RAM, there's another option.

:-/ Just because there's a greater-than-zero chance I might need more than 6GB
doesn't mean I'm ever going to want 24GB on this system. If it was a simple
dual-channel RAM configuration I'd be plenty happy with 8GB. If I could find a
3x1GB package I'd probably be content to move up to 9GB total.

I guess the real question is whether there's any architectural advantage to
spreading the RAM out through all of the slots, rather than concentrating it in
one bank of 3. I don't grok how access interleaving happens in "modern" systems.

john-