[PLUG] Memory configuration question

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 03:15:14 UTC 2013

On 04/19/2013 03:53 PM, John Meissen wrote:

> We're getting WAY off-track now. I just need more memory. Period.
> I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.
>
> You notice I never mentioned the OS. It's 64-bit Windows, not
> Linux. I had my reasons. I've been a hard-core Linux user since
> something like 1995 (and Unix before/since), but that doesn't mean
> I exclude other systems.
>
> You can argue Linux/Open Source all you want, but those video tools
> weren't and still aren't mature enough. I want plug-and-play. Trust
> me, I spent a lot of time looking at all the options
> (Windows/Mac/Linux/Open Source/ Commercial).

----snip----

Fair enough. Since you posted on PLUG I had just assumed it was Linux
related.  Extra memory never hurts, with the right OS. If you got the
cash, just go ahead and fill up all the DIMM slots.  Sell, or donate
the old sticks.  Post back if you still have memory issues due to your
fancy expensive app swapping to hard drive.

I will have to disagree on you linux video tool assessment. For example,

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alexcoxfilms/alex-cox-directs-bill-the-galactic-hero/posts/451732

Given my budget, and inclination since 1994, call me a GNU/Linux fan
boy.  I've been building and fiddling with these things for 30+ years;
Vax, Unix, CP/M, every flavor of DOS, DRDOS, FreeDOS, Win3.x, 95, 85,
ME, 2K, Xp vista, 7....   and I just don't have the energy for
Microsoft shenanigans anymore.

Have fun.

-Ed