[PLUG] To Hire a SysAdmin

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri Aug 2 18:27:35 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for advice, salary surveys, requirements, etc.  for hiring a
Systems Administrator for a new company I'm involved with. What we're
planning to build is a business information service that supports our
research analysts with information and infographics presentation tools.
The database will be approximately 5 Tb, so it's big, but not
unmanageable, and we're aiming to achieve facebook size numbers. Behind
the curtain are a couple of built-from-scratch Linux servers optimized
for reliability and network speed. Unfortunately, it seems that the only
way I'll get the other founders to put a Linux workstation in their
hands is if I can first  pry their cold, dead fingers off their Windows
keyboards, so the new SA may be required to know something about Windows
networks and security.

I've been doing this job for now, but mostly just the donkey work (
triage the logs, feed, groom, exercise, and sometimes muck out, etc. )
The stuff that goes beyond me I contract with a friend to keep the disk
drives in the RAID10 all spinning in harmony like so many Nepalese
prayer wheels. But he's got  a full-time job (the good ones aren't
lacking for work these days) So he's available only at certain times.

This group seems to have a lot of experience with Linux system
administration,and even though I'm in the Denver Metro Area you all seem
to collectively have the broadest and deepest knowledge, so that's why
I've come all this distance to the well ;-) I'm going to do some on-line
searching, but I would appreciate any guidance so I don't get off on the
wrong foot.

Thank you in advance!

- Bill Thoen