[PLUG] Urgent! Lost network connection after upgrade

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Aug 3 18:51:34 UTC 2013

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 11:31:20 -0700
Dale Snell <ddsnell at frontier.com> dijo:

>On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 11:01:36 -0700
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Now I've done it.. I decided to upgrade my Fedora 15 laptop to Fedora
>> 17 using the DVD. The upgrade went without error, and when I rebooted
>> things came up as before, but I have no network connection. If I try
>> manually to connect to eth0 I get:
>>
>> (1) Creating object for path
>> '/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/17' failed in
>> libnm-glib..
>>
>> I am sending this from my desktop computer, proof that my home
>> network is still working fine.
>>
>> Life sucks without a connection. Any suggestions?

>Try connecting to em1.  That's what my interface is named (it's on the
>motherboard).  You probably don't have an eth0 anymore.  The new
>enumeration scheme tries to name interfaces in a way that will tell
>you where the interface is located.  At least, I think that's the
>idea.

I still have eth0. I just can't connect to it. No error messages. It's
listed as available, but I can't get a connection to it. It's been ages
since I did any networking stuff from the command line and I've
forgotten all the commands. :(

>Also, why Fedora 17?  It hit End Of Life a while ago, and is now
>unsupported.

Because I have to do upgrades from the DVD. That is because the
partition for upgrade images that Fedora 11 created is now too small to
hold current images. And Fedora 18 and later use - I am not making this
up - FedUp. Amazing how accurately they anticipated my attitude.