[PLUG] Urgent! Lost network connection after upgrade

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Sat Aug 3 19:27:00 UTC 2013

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 12:13:42 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:50:28 -0700
> Paul Munday <paulm at freegeek.org> dijo:
>
> >I've come across more than one instance of udev deciding to rename
> >network interfaces on upgrades and the like.
> >
> >On Debian variants it does so
> >in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> >
> >Its safe to delete/rename this file as it should get recreated on
> >boot if needed.
>
> Since I still have eth0 it appears that the upgrade did not rename my
> network. I looked in /etc but I don't have a udev folder.

That's broken.  There should be a /etc/udev directory, with a
file, udev.conf, and a sub-directory named rules.d with several
files in it.  (This is from my live F17 box.)

Did you install _ab initio_, or did you attempt to upgrade?  I
don't care which distro it is, upgrades are more of a pain than
installing to bare metal.

I won't be available for the rest of the day; so I won't be able
to help any further.  Sorry 'bout that.

--Dale

--
"IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!  Or the beginning.  Hmph.  End, begin,
all the same.  Big change.  Sometimes good.  Sometimes bad."