[PLUG] Urgent! Lost network connection after upgrade

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Aug 3 20:18:08 UTC 2013

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 12:27:00 -0700
Dale Snell <ddsnell at frontier.com> dijo:

>On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 12:13:42 -0700
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:50:28 -0700
>> Paul Munday <paulm at freegeek.org> dijo:

>> >On Debian variants it does so
>> >in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>> >
>> >Its safe to delete/rename this file as it should get recreated on
>> >boot if needed.

>> Since I still have eth0 it appears that the upgrade did not rename my
>> network. I looked in /etc but I don't have a udev folder.
>
>That's broken.  There should be a /etc/udev directory, with a
>file, udev.conf, and a sub-directory named rules.d with several
>files in it.  (This is from my live F17 box.)

Of course, before doing the upgrade I made a full backup to an external
disk. Just now I found the /etc/udev folder in the backups and copied
it to /etc. But it made no difference. I even rebooted, but no change.

I also deleted the 70-persistent-net-rules file and rebooted, but it
was not recreated.

>Did you install _ab initio_, or did you attempt to upgrade?  I
>don't care which distro it is, upgrades are more of a pain than
>installing to bare metal.

This was an upgrade. If I ever do a fresh install it takes a week to
get everything reinstalled and working again. I have tons of specialty
programs, some of which took a long time to figure out how to get them
working.

>I won't be available for the rest of the day; so I won't be able
>to help any further.  Sorry 'bout that.

Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions.