[PLUG] Urgent! Lost network connection after upgrade

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 20:03:51 UTC 2013

There is an option in the config file.
Setting the string like below will remove the interface from Network
Manager control.
NM_CONTROLLED=no

We do this on our servers since we typically don't have a user interface on
headless machines.

Also
all the manual configuration lines for the interface fail to mention the
'up' piece of the ifconfig command.
You can always assign an address to the interface (if NM is out of the way)
and not bring up the interface.
If you don't add 'up' to the end of the ifconfig command then
ifconfig eth0 up
as an additional command will be needed.
ping <eth0_ip_address> will check to see if the OS thinks the interface is
up and assigned.
This will get results even if the physical link connection is not there as
the kernel will bypass hardware
driver.