[PLUG] Urgent! Lost network connection after upgrade

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Mon Aug 5 20:51:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Dale Snell <ddsnell at frontier.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 12:31:11 -0700
> "Mike C." <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Regarding my last post about the interface config files. After
> > modifying them, you'll want to either reboot or restart networking
> > services. I'd say reboot and hope that the interface config file is
> > read before NM is invoked.
>
> Easiest thing for John to do here, I think, is disable NM altogether:
>
> $ sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
>
> should do the trick.  I think.

I sat down a played on John's laptop directly for a few minutes.  When he
upgraded to Fedora 17 it only partially upgraded his system and then bailed
for an unknown reason, but likely due to unresolved conflicts or
dependencies.  Most of the things that worked on his system were packages
that did not get upgraded; he was running a F16 version of the kernel and
Xorg but everything that was going through systemd was referencing F17
libraries that did not get installed on his system.  Trying to install
these RPMs resulted in even more dependencies and conflicts that needed
upgrading.  A quick 'rpm -qa | grep f16' resulted in about 1k packages.
 Doing 'rpm -qa | grep f17' also resulted in around 1k packages, meaning
about 50% upgrade.

Since he was still running a F16 kernel that came bundled with his network
drivers, his hardware was detected and a physical link was observable (ie
via mii-tool).  However, many of the libraries that the network tools
relied on got removed or changed to incompatible versions during the
upgrade and no longer functioned.  Even the most basic ifconfig and ip
commands wouldn't work because, while it could assign an IP address to the
interface, it could not interface with the part of the system that managed
the routing table and all DNS resolver related libraries were missing.