[PLUG] Laptop video

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 19:35:21 UTC 2013

On 08/06/2013 12:02 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> In the process of shopping for a new laptop I discovered that I don't
> understand how video works in laptops these days. In the past I have
> always had nothing but nVidia (Quadro NVS 140M and GeForce 6150 in my
> Thinkpad and desktop, respectively), but of late there have been issues
> with the drivers. Perhaps I should be looking at something else.

I've had good luck over the years with the nvidia proprietary drivers.
The F/OSS nv is deprecated and nouveau is getting better.

> 1) I see laptops at the Clinic that seem to have two video chips, like
> Intel and nVidia. And one of the laptops that I am seriously
> considering* has Intel and nVidia. Why?

Switchable or Optimus graphics.  Nvidia for games, 1080p video, and
power user stuff, Intel for power savings when only 2D and light duty
3D.  This setup is sometimes EXTREMELY difficult to get working properly
under Linux due to the proprietary nature of the configuration.

> 2) In the past Intel had a reputation of lower power consumption, and
> nVidia the worst. Is that still true?

Pretty much for laptops and destops.  The tegra line is for portable
devices.  However, the Geforce "M" series for desktop chips have decent
power management.

> 3) I will want full video functionality - GL graphics, flash, etc. Are
> there any chips to be avoided?
Intel, ATI/AMD.  YMMV.  I don't like Radeon since AMD drops older
support like a hot rock. The F/OSS radeonhd drivers are getting better
but I still have lots of issues with them.

However, Intel recently  dumped a chuck of code into the kernel to
improve driver etc support.  The newer Intel 4600HD GPUs look good.
Still not as good as Nvidia for 1920x1080 HD gaming, but decent enough
if you turn some of the eye candy down.