[PLUG] Laptop video

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Aug 8 01:21:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 16:18:51 -0700
King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> dijo:

>Try System76. They have some nice stuff - dying to get one myself.
>IIRC, they come preloaded with Ubuntu, or you can pick your distro of
>choice.

One of my problems is that I have become spoiled. Shortly after getting
my Thinkpad T61 Keith suggested that I get a docking station. It was
one of his better ideas.

But few laptop makers these days offer dedicated docking stations.
Instead they all rely on third party USB 3.0 docking stations. I am not
averse to that idea, but it means that when home there will always be a
USB cable plugged into the side of the laptop, getting in the way of
books and papers, and being constantly bumped, eventually causing the
jack to fail. The Traverse Pro is one of the few 15.6 inch laptops that
I found with one of the USB 3.0 ports clear at the back. Still on the
side, but at least mostly out of the way.

The System 76 Bonobo Extreme does have a USB 3.0 port clear at the
back. But it's a 17 inch laptop. I love the real estate, but schlepping
it around does not sound like fun.

But I did send them a list of questions just now.