[PLUG] Ownerships and permissions mess

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Aug 8 22:05:59 UTC 2013

I have been using a 3 TB Seagate Go-Flex Desk USB 3.0 drive to store
backups and movies, labeled Movies. It is also the default location
where Ktorrent stores downloads.

I had recently downloaded all the Fedora 19 files via torrent, so they
were on this drive. Just now I dragged them from Movies to my
laptop drive with Thunar. I got a bunch of permission errors. So I
looked at the Movies drive from the command line and found a mess. About
half of the files are owned by "500" and the rest by me. The
permissions appear to be OK for both (rwxrwxrwx, although some are
rwxrwxr-x).

And another odd thing, using Gnome-terminal, for about a third of the
files and folders the permissions, ownership and size columns are OK,
but the name is an unreadable solid green bar, of a length equal to the
number of characters in the actual name.

All this appears to have come about after wiping out Fedora and
installing Xubuntu. On the other hand, I rarely move files back and
forth from Movies, so the mess could have been going on for a long time.

Should I just chown them all to jjj:jjj? So that I can avoid this in
the future, what could cause this to happen?