[PLUG] Ownerships and permissions mess

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 03:09:46 UTC 2013

On 08/08/2013 06:47 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 16:48:18 -0700
> Paul Mullen <pm at nellump.net> dijo:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 03:46:35PM -0700, Dale Snell wrote:
>>> Huh.  Green text on a blank background means the executable bit is
>>> set.  I don't know what a green background means, nor the
>>> combination of the two.  Check your /etc/DIR_COLORS* files and see
>>> if anything is supposed to set the background to green.
>
>> In my experience, a green background means a directory is
>> world-writeable.  File names don't seem to get the same treatment.

For most distros, by default, yes.  World readable file names will be
green text.  This is standard behavior if you mount a Windows NTFS drive
on Linux. Is your drive NTFS?  You will have an easier time if you use a
linux native format.

> After my first post here I noticed that all the solid green ones were
> folders owned by jjj:jjj. *Files* owned by jjj:jjj were not affected.
> And folders and files owned by 500 were not affected. I should add that
> when I say "solid green bar" I mean the background and the text are
> both dark green. The only way to tell the filename is by guessing from
> the length of the bar.

User 500 *was* you when the files where created.  This was the default
UUID.  When you reinstalled, *you* became UUID 1000, obviously a
different "person"

> So I did sudo chown -R* jjj:jjj /media/Movies/*. After it ended I am
> now the owner of all the files and folders, except .Trash, which is
> still owned by 500. I specifically tried to take ownership of .Trash as
> well, but the terminal said "silly boy, that file does not exist." Or
> something like that. OK, who cares.

You can usually delete .Trash-500, a new file .Trash-1000 will be
created (but only if you are root, not via sudo, the old one DOES NOT
BELONG TO YOU).  I've had external drives with a .Trash-xxx for every
user that accessed that drive.

> But the interesting thing is that the ones that had solid green names
> before still have solid green names, and the ones with normal names
> still have normal names, even though I now own all of them.
>
> My next theory is that there is a date involved here. Folders created
> after or before some date are the ones with the solid green names. Is
> there a way to do a ls command and have it sort by date of creation?

refer to "man ls"  There are lots of options.

> * Why do some commands require an uppercase R, others a lowercase r,
>   and some will take either? C'mon programmers, get your act together
>   here.

Because there is NO ONE PROGRAMMING AUTHORITY in F/OSS. Also, if a
command has -R and -r, they are sometimes DIFFEREN, sometimes THE SAME.
 Its all part of the fun!

-Ed