[PLUG] All applications died

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Aug 9 18:37:29 UTC 2013

I had numerous applications open on my newly installed Xubuntu laptop -
Claws Mail, Firefox, Synaptic, Terminal, Ktorrent, Gedit, Evince, and a
couple more. I was in Firefox reading about the latest mobile CPUs from
Intel and suddenly all applications vanished. The OS is running fine. I
just relaunched Claws Mail to write this.

I've had one application die, I've had the entire OS die, I've had X
die, but I've never even heard of having all running apps die
simultaneously.

I'm wondering if there is a global kill-9 command that might have been
invoked somehow. But the only apps that died were those on the desktop;
all the numerous service apps that run in the background were
apparently unaffected.

This is turning out to be a really weird Friday.