[PLUG] All applications died

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 19:20:10 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 11:37:29 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
> >I'm wondering if there is a global kill-9 command that might have been

There /is/ such a command, but I don't think that's what happened (fwiw,
it's 'kill -9 -1', which kills all processes by the currently running user).

> Never mind. They didn't all die. They disappeared from the desktop, but
> some were still running.

It sounds like your window manager crashed (and was possibly restarted, but
didn't recover properly).  That /could/ make all the windows disappear, or
make them all show up on the same desktop (which may be off screen), or do
any number of weird things with how your currently open X applications are
displayed.

I don't know of a great way to recover from that situation, killing them
via task manager and restarting is possibly the best option, although you
/might/ be able to use a command-line window management tool like wmctrl to
make them show up again, but it's complicated.

--Rogan