[PLUG] Ownerships and permissions mess

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Sat Aug 10 15:40:33 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 09:30:56AM -0500, David Fleck wrote:
> > On 08/08/2013 06:47 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> >> Is there a way to do a ls command and have it sort by date of creation?
>
> Try
>
>    ls -lrt

Creation?

That isn't available in contemporary *nix, including Linuxes.

    ctime  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stat_(Unix)

    ctime originally meant creation time,[8] however it has since been
    used almost always to refer to change time. It is updated any time
    file content changes (together with mtime), and also by changes in
    metadata such as file permissions, file ownership, and creation and
    deletion of hard links. In some implementations, ctime is affected by
    renaming a file (both original Unix and modern Linux tend to do this).

    Unlike atime and mtime, ctime cannot be set to an arbitrary value
    with utime() (as used e.g. by touch). Instead, when utime() is used,
    the ctime value is set to the current time.

And this is confirmed by `man 2 stat`

All of these system calls return a stat structure, which contains the following fields:

           struct stat {
               dev_t     st_dev;     /* ID of device containing file */
               ino_t     st_ino;     /* inode number */
               [ other stuff snipped ]
               time_t    st_atime;   /* time of last access */
               time_t    st_mtime;   /* time of last modification */
               time_t    st_ctime;   /* time of last status change */
           };

--
            Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
          Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity