[PLUG] Belkin N900 Not Seen at 192.168.2.1

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Aug 11 18:08:56 UTC 2013

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013, wes wrote:

> as I recall, you have a tendency to set up your network nodes with static
> IP addresses. this scenario is one of the downsides of such a setup - your
> static IP is not within the logical definition of the router's network.

   Not only a tendency, but that's what I do. With only a few hosts there's
no advantage to DHCP.

> try switching to DHCP, or setting statically an IP within the 192.168.2.x
> range. once you're logged in to the router's management interface, you can
> change the router's IP to be within 192.168.55.x, and then change your
> machine's IP back to its previous. also, configure the router's built-in
> DHCP server to hand out addresses that won't conflict with your statically
> assigned ones.

   I was looking for my saved message on how to set a second eth0 interface,
but I cannot find it. That's what I did before. Thinking a bit more, I
realize that reaching a world-addressable IP address is different from
reaching a non-world-addressible IP address from within the LAN.

   I'll go search for the ifconfig syntax to add a second network to eth0.

Thanks, Wes,