[PLUG] Tuning Setup of Belkin N900

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Aug 11 22:15:40 UTC 2013

   Now I have the Belkin configured -- sorta' -- I need to tweak the setup
but find no answers in the user manual or on Belkin's web page for this
model. Perhaps someone here has experience with this brand and model and can
offer guidance on setting clients and admin name and password.

   When I try to add a password it's rejected; I can only leave that field
blank. I'm not worried about anyone here getting into it (other than me) and
want assurance that it's secure from outside. I have set protection to WPA2
PassPhrase and stored the latter in the WAP's memory.

   On the Linksys and Asus wireless routers I could add static IP addresses,
host names, and MAC addresses for the two portables here and restrict use of
the wireless access to only those two. On the Belkin the page for client
list is blank when neither portable is connected; I cannot add clients to
that list. Also, the Belkin assigns 192.168.55.100 to my portable (which is
an unused number), but /etc/hosts and related files know the portable as
192.168.55.2. Is there a way to associate static IP addresses of the two
portables? When I tried setting the Belkin to use static IP addresses it was
not happy with me. Perhaps I did not follow the protocol it wanted.

   Any insights into tuning my configuration so the two portables can access
other LAN hosts and the 'Net via this WAP will be much appreciated.