[PLUG] Belkin N900 Not Seen at 192.168.2.1 => Russel S.

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 16:14:32 UTC 2013

"Not such a good idea, IMHO.  The "access point" dhcp server is going
to be giving itself out as the default route, unless you can tell it
otherwise."

Russel - This is an incorrect understanding of how DHCP actually works. The
DHCP server is configured with various parameters such as: ip address
pools, subnet masks, dns servers, routers, etc. The dhclient.conf file is
where the DHCP client is configured to request and require specific
parameters such as routers.

 "request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
dhcp6.name-servers, dhcp6.domain-search,
netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu,
rfc3442-classless-static-routes, ntp-servers;
#require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;"

With that being said, the standard issue dhcleint,conf file would request
routers from the DHCP server and would need to modified.

"Also, some embedded dhcp servers listen for other dhcp
servers on the network before starting.  If they hear one, they'll
disable themselves.  Others, stomp right ahead blindly.

I've been working with computer networks for 15 yrs and I have yet to see
this behavior. I realize standards, like DHCP, are not always implemented
thoroughly or correctly, but having multiple DHCP servers on the same
network is often used in failure scenarios. The only thing that requires is
a correct overlap configuration of ip addresses.

 "If you are doing this wan-port-trick at all, better to positively turn
off the
unneeded DHCP server,I think, to avoid the ambiguity.  Too many cooks
in the kitchen, etc"

This all sounds to